Monday, July 20, 2009

Curly hair grows slower?

Does curly hair grow slower than straight hair? I have naturally curly hair, not coarse or kinky ( I'm Hispanic). I've cut my hair (not trimmed) a few times and I want to grow it a little longer than I've ever grown it/had it before. But it seems to me that curly hair stops growing at a certain point because I've seen many girls who have curly hair and it DOES NOT grow beyond midway of the back when straightened.



Any advice or information?



Curly hair grows slower?

I have curly hair, and it grows very fast. Every person's hair grows at a different rate; average is about 1-2 cm/month, I think, but mine grows faster than that.



Also, not everyone's hair grows indefinitely. Everyone has a point at which the length of hair slows down; that's why the girls whom you are talking about only have hair midway down their backs. This is because follicles are programmed in two phases: the 'growth' phase and the 'rest' phase. The follicle produces new cells during the growth phase, and during the rest phase the follicle breaks and a new hair begins growing in its place (thus beginning a new growth phase). Arm hair, for example, has a shorter growth phase than head hair, so it stops growing at a shorter length. So this is not a characteristic of curly hair, but of everyone's hair. The maximum length of a person's hair is determined by the growth phase length of his or her follicles, so it varies from person to person.



If you keep your hair trimmed, there will be less breakage of the hair and you should be able to grow it out. There is no way to make hair grow faster; just keep it healthy and it will keep growing! :)



Curly hair grows slower?

I have curly hair as well, and I've never noticed a difference.



Curly hair doesn't ever seem as long as straight hair because...well, it's curly. Curly hair is also more prone to breakage, because at every bend (curl), the hair is weaker and has a tendency to snap off.

No comments:

Post a Comment